Thursday, May 17, 2012

Zucchini, Zucchini, Zucchini

It is summer, and one of my favorite things about summer is the fresh fruit and vegetables.   If you were not aware, my dad is an avid gardener.  His little garden is amazing.  I don’t know why he couldn’t have passed his green thumb on to me.  Instead, I have got my mother’s uncanny ability to kill every plant she has ever own.   Maybe that is something I can change, I am trying.  But I have not been successful yet. 
Anyways....  My dad’s garden produces a surprising amount of food.   My mom and dad put up the veggies throughout the summer, eat it on a regular basis, and still he has tons and tons to give away.   This explains the mountain of squash that he gave me last Sunday.   Justin does not eat squash, such a weirdo.  So I have to eat this mountain of squash alone.  Now, I love roasted squash.  But I have so much squash, I needed to come up with other ways to sneak it in.   And that is what this post is mostly about.
The other half of it is this.
I find it amazing how a recipe can evolve, especially when I get my hands on it.   Take the recipe that I found on Tuesday.  Find it here! If you actually went there, you found this amazing Zucchini Tot recipe.   The author of this blog, altered an existing Zucchini Bite recipe.   I thought this recipe looked amazing, so I was anxious to try something new and I have plenty of zucchini to experiment with.  So I went for it.
Of course, as I always do, I made adjustments as I went along.  I left out the onions, since I only eat them in rare occasions.  I added an extra egg because I added extra zucchini.  The result,  my tots were a little eggy.  Very good, but eggy.   So I decided to save the leftovers for breakfast.  And you know what????
They were AMAZING.  So amazing, that I immediately had to stop and write this blog.  My tots were never meant to be tots,   I altered the recipe and I came up with something really great.   I present to you...
Easy Mini Zucchini Quiches
1 large Zucchini
2 eggs
½  cups of grated Cheese
½ cups of Italian breadcrumbs
Seasonings

Grate and smash the water out of the zucchini.  (You will be amazed how much water they have)  Mix all ingredients together.   Spoon into a mini cupcake pan that has been sprayed.   Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.  Enjoy.  And enjoy you will.

I have decided that I making them on Saturday for breakfast, and I am going to put bacon in half of them to see what happens.   Recipes are always evolving.

Here is pic of our dinner last night.  Grilled Swordfish, Rice, and Easy Mini Zucchini Quiches.  I was not quick enough to get a picture this morning.  I ate them too fast.


Btw, If any of you have any zucchini recipes.  Shoot 'em to me.  I still have tons of squash...

No comments:

Post a Comment