Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Hot Pink Gardening Gloves

I have mentioned before that my dad has a green thumb; actually I think he has an entire green hand.
It is no secret that I had grown weary of apartment living.   I had become restless and very jealous of my friends who lived in houses; friends who had front yards for decorations at Christmas, real front doors for displaying wreaths, and backyards for the warm weather enjoyment and gardens. 
So upon moving to a house, one of the first things that I did was start to plan a garden.  So I called my dad, the expert.  We had several conversations about what I would plant, how I would plant it, and what I would do with the harvest. 
Finally, the time came to plant last weekend.  My dad came up to help, and he brought all kind of stuff with him.  The only thing that I had to provide was the plants, so Saturday morning, dad and I went and picked out my plants. 

 I naively thought we were just going to use regular dirt, but there is a certain mixture and a method to the dirt.

There is a lot of talk of raised gardens and things like that, and this method is very similar.  These pots will help me control the water that the plants get during the hot summer.  And hopefully, I will be able to keep little critters out of my garden by using this method. 
I planted tomatoes, jalapenos, cucumbers, and zucchini in these pots.
On the back porch, I have 3 smaller planters.  One of them holds sweet mint, and the two pictured below hold lettuce, rosemary, basil, and pineapple sage. 

Here is a pic of me and my dad after a morning of gardening.  You can’t see my hot pink gardening gloves, but they are really dirty.   It was a great time for me, and I think my dad really enjoyed teaching me how to do this. 

Here’s to fruitful summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment