Monday, December 12, 2011

Yarn Fairies's Debut

Exciting things are happening.  I know that I already work full time doing my “real adult” job as an underwriter.  I know that I am already behind enough on my housework, that I don’t necessarily need a new venture in my life.  But I am ignoring all of that, and I have started to brainstorm about the future of Yarn Fairies.
Megan and I love to knit and crochet.  Megan first learned to crochet from her grandmother.  I first learned to knit from Jill.  Then I taught Megan to knit, and she taught me to crochet.  I think we both do them interchangeably now.  The funny thing is, Megan and I make a lot of stuff.  However, we don’t wear a lot of the stuff we make, which is very odd. This creates a big problem.  What do we do with all the stuff that we love to make? 
Well, last December Megan started to get orders for furry, curly scarves, quite a few orders, actually.  I even helped her complete some of the orders.  It was during this time, that the idea of doing this for money came to fruition.  So we would talk about it from time to time, but nothing ever came of it.   In the fall, we decided that we would participate in the Holiday at Smokerise Christmas Festival and gauge the response from the attendees.
That show was on December 3, 2011.  So after months of knitting, crocheting, and planning, the day had come.  We were so afraid that our table would look empty and pathetic.  We were worried for no reason.  We had so much inventory that we had to brainstorm ideas to display all of our items.  See our booth!

I am glad to report that the initial launch of Yarn Fairies went very well.  Megan and I made a profit and covered all our expenses for getting and setting up the booth.  We did not sell everything.  I think, more importantly, this was an excellent learning experience, and we have some ideas to make our next show even better.  I think, most importantly, we had a great time! 
What is next for Yarn Fairies, you may ask?  Well, we have determined that we want to do more shows.  We think that fall and winter are probably the best seasons to sell hats and scarves.  We are interested in making some summer items, but we are brainstorming the best way to bring those to the customers.  We have just recently created a Yarn Fairies Facebook page.  We currently have 5 like!!  Yes, I know.  We have reached the big time!   Maybe an Etsy shop is our future.  Who really knows? The sky is the limit. 

P.S.  I am excited about the Christmas presents I have been making.  Stay tuned for some pretty cute pics to come.  Don’t want to spoil the surprise and post them early!!

No comments:

Post a Comment