Monday, April 9, 2012

Green Smoothie Revolution

It has been awhile.  I have been busy.  I realize that is no excuse to not blog, but that is the reason I have been MIA.  I have some great blog topics that I have yet to write about.  I need to tell you about BaconFest!  But I forgot to take pics, but I could post the recipes that I used.  I will think about doing a post on that later this week.  But today I would like to tell you about my first real green smoothie.
I am sure you have heard about the green smoothie revolution.  I have avoided it or paid little attention to it for quite awhile.  But when a friend started talking about how much she loved green smoothies. It made me curious. Very curious. 
So I began to do some research.  The benefits that people claim from green smoothies are simply astounding.  People claim that green smoothies are responsible for increased energy, weight loss, curing diabetes and high blood pressure.  You name it, and it appears that green smoothies can do it.  I find all of this a little too good to be true.    But I consider the ingredients: vegetables, greens, and fruit.  At its worst, it is a salad with no dressing.  So what can it hurt to try?  Nothing.
I decided if I was going to try it.  I was going to give it a good first try.  I decided I needed to invest in a blender.  A strong blender.  So I bought the Ninja N600, six blades and 1000 watts of power.   This weekend, I gave it a little try on a green smoothie.  And I was impressed. 
So this morning was the first real test, could I drink green smoothies on a daily basis.  I had a powerful blender, ton of fruits, and a big bag of spinach.
Here is what happened.
I started with
2 cups/handfuls of spinach
8 strawberries
2 bananas
2 cups of water

And I liquefied it.  It was a light green color.  This made a little over a quart of smoothie.  I had half of it for breakfast, and I brought half to work for my afternoon snack. 

First thoughts:
-Very nice consistency.  The only thing that stood out was the strawberry seeds, and you can expect that.
-It was tasty.  You could only taste the fruit.
-Only 151 for my morning portion.  Not too bad.
-It was easy to make.  And cleanup was a breeze. Important for early mornings, late to work mornings, and lazy mornings.




I think the first morning smoothie was a success.  I am curious to see if my body will actually crave the greens, like smoothie drinkers claim.  So far, so good.   I will report my findings.
Until next time, Stay classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment