I like to think of myself of a laid-back, fly by the seat of her pants, kind of girl. I like to do things on a whim. I am flexible, and I am usually up for anything. Probably a year ago, a good friend and I were talking about meal plans. She planned out her meals for the entire week, and I thought this was strange. I could ask her on Friday, what she was having for dinner next Wednesday and she could tell me. I secretly smiled at myself, although I didn’t have to do it in secret. She and I only talk via emails and IMs, so she couldn’t see me smile anyway. I smiled at my own spontaneity. I smiled because I didn’t know what I was having for lunch that day, much less dinner next Wednesday. But I think I have realized something...
My current meal plan usually consists of me sitting at my desk at work wondering what we are going to have for dinner that night. If I can’t think of anything that I am particularly in the mood for, then I browse allrecipes.com until I find something that strikes my fancy. And then I send a text to Justin, saying the first one off of works needs to go by the grocery store and get these items, so I can make the recipe that I had in mind. In the past couple weeks; I realized that there are a few problems with this plan.
1. I hate making several special trips to the grocery store.
2. Our pantry shelf is full of food, but somehow I rarely cook from it.
3. Our grocery shopping has no direction. We just buy things that we think we will eat. Which is probably how we end up with a pantry shelf full of food.
4. Justin knows that If he has to go to grocery store for special items, then it is a probably a new recipe night. And for some reason, Justin gets a little skittish around new recipes.
5. We end up just ditching dinner altogether, and just going out to eat.
6. And there was this one night, where Justin and I ate an entire bag of barbeque chips. My tummy hurt so much, and to this day I can’t eat barbeque chips.
As you can see, we need a new plan. So for the first time, a meal plan has been made for the Broderway household. I asked Justin for any meals, that he wanted to make the list this week. He had two requests, and I have incorporated them. Here is what we have.
Friday – Chicken Casserole (A recipe from the 101 Things to do with Chicken Cookbook) It is so good, I should post that recipe in the future.
Saturday – We are attending the Taste of Tucker on Saturday, but we will need a snack for Bama vs. Vandy. I have decided I want to make Hummus.
Sunday – Tacos Justin loves tacos.
Monday – Hamburger Helper, Justin’s other request. And a Garden Salad
Wednesday – Pork Chops, Rice, and Field Peas.
Friday – Slower Cooker Beef Stroganoff
Saturday - A lentil soup or chili. I am still looking for just the right recipe.
Not only do I have a meal plan, I also have a grocery lists that reflects the meal plan. I have it all planned out. I know exactly what I am having for breakfast, lunch, and dinner next week. I thought when this moment came, I would feel a little of my spontaneity slip away. But to be honest, I feel good. I feel excited about the yummy food in my future. I feel more like a grown-up. Never thought I would say this, but I feel relieved that I already know what I am having for dinner next Wednesday night. I also feel like Lindsay is reading this, and secretly smiling that I have come around to her ways.