This weekend was a whirlwind, and a perfect example of modern homemaking and the juggling that it requires. Justin and I were in Birmingham this weekend. I attended the Surplus and Excess Lines Insurance symposium Friday night and Saturday morning. And then left there to spend time with family and celebrate a birthday.
Sandy and I are creative, and we are known for diving into projects, and this weekend was no different. Our project was simple, to make a birthday cake for Rian. Simple, right? Not. Rian was very specific about the cake instructions. It had to be Star Wars. It had to have light sabers. The light sabers had to be blue and red, green was not acceptable, and they had to be clashing with a pow. He also wanted his name on the cake with the number 6.
Not only did we have design specifications, we had a new medium to try, Marshmallow Fondant. As you probably know, regular fondant is gross, expensive, and hard to work with. So Sandy found and wanted to try this new (it is not new, but it is definitely new to us) recipe.
We used a variation of this. It takes a lot of sugar and a lot of marshmallows, and it is very sticky. Here we are adding colors to the fondant. This is very hard work. A lot of kneading and we found out unnecessary, since we found out that you could add it at the beginning.
And my attempt at making light saber handles.
In the end, it wasn’t our best cake that we have ever made. Our guitar cake and Hungry Hungry Caterpillar cakes were pretty awesome. However, in spite of the fact that our knowledge of Star Wars is very limited compared to Justin and Rian and we were working with a new medium, we did pretty well. We ended up with fondant that tasted really good, and a very happy Rian. That’s a success in my book!